Join Our Team
At Balch, our professional staff play a key role in achieving excellence for our clients, fulfilling indispensable responsibilities and functions that allow us to sharpen competitive advantages.
Your energy and talents are essential to the advancement of our firm and our clients. In our collaborative environment, you will team up with skilled and approachable colleagues to deliver unsurpassed service to those who trust us to help them navigate their most complex legal challenges.
Benefits & Resources
Industry-leading benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, profit-sharing contributions, 401 (k) deferrals with qualifying match, paid time off and paid holidays, paid birth and adoption leave, and a back-up childcare and elder care program, to name a few.
Because we want you to grow your career with Balch – and maintain a healthy work-life balance – we also offer a variety of other perks: financial wellness seminars, onsite flu shots and health screenings, fitness programs, community service opportunities, CPR/AED training, social events, discounted gym memberships and more.
Advance Your Growth
Do you want to propel your professional growth and development? We are committed to providing advancement opportunities for all, and will give you the support and resources you need to hone your skills. At Balch, we help you grow your impact through ongoing training, mentoring, coaching and other professional development opportunities.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Officer - Atlanta, GA / Birmingham, AL
Based in Birmingham, AL or Atlanta, GA. Other locations may be considered.
The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Officer (DEIO) will be a key member of the firm management team and will report directly to the COO and Executive Committee. This DEIO will lead the development and execution of the firm’s strategy for diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI), including providing training for both staff and attorneys, implementing best practices used within the legal and business communities, and providing coaching, guidance, and education. The successful candidate will have significant responsibility in connection with the firm’s overall recruiting and professional development and retention programs. Another key role of this position is conducting strategic planning, establishing goals and objectives, developing metrics for monitoring the success of the firm’s DEI, recruiting and retention strategy.
This DEIO is expected to serve as a thought leader and as a positive role model and mentor to the firm’s attorneys and staff, and to perform all responsibilities in a way that supports and promotes the firm’s commitment to providing superior service to internal and external clients. In this regard, the DEIO will also have responsibility for assisting in the development and execution of external programs and initiatives to support the firm’s commitment to equality and social justice in the communities it serves.
- Work with the firm’s Executive Committee, Office Managing Partners, Section Chairs, and Committee Chairs to align the vision and strategies of each of the firm’s functional areas with the firm’s DEI objectives and strategies. The DEIO will be a regular participant in the firm’s Executive Committee and Section Chair/Office Managing Partner Meetings with a standing place on the agenda of each group.
- Develop a comprehensive program for DEI, including training modules and programs, continuous development and awareness, recruiting, talent development, community outreach, and metrics for measuring success.
- Collaborate with attorneys and professional staff training department to develop and facilitate diversity, equity, and inclusion learning curriculum and trainings. Design and execute internal and external diversity meetings and events.
- Act as spokesperson and representative of the firm matters important to DEI, including speaking engagements, client interaction and interaction with interest groups, and educational institutions.
- Develop, maintain, and monitor diversity metrics and recurring reports to measure success, develop knowledge, and incorporate findings into future strategy and initiatives. Generate reports on the diversity and inclusion activities and programs for each office.
- Lead and assist with extensive on-campus and in-office recruiting programs and early recruiting programs and events. Schedule, coordinate, and attend diversity-focused legal recruiting efforts.
- Research and analyze national and regional diversity demographic trends, market forces, and recruiting opportunities, and develop programs to advance diversity and inclusion for each office.
- Act as an ex officio member of the firm’s Associates and Recruiting Committees with responsibility for developing and executing programs and initiatives related to associate recruiting, hiring, morale, and retention.
- Provide research, analyze data, and generate reports as requested by the Associates Committee, Recruiting Committee, Office Managing Partners, Directors of Administration, and others.
- Coordinate and manage the orientation, integration, career development, mentoring, and training for new and lateral attorneys. Provide support for the evaluation and promotion processes performed by the Associate Committee.
- Oversee the firm’s budget for DEI, professional development and recruiting related accounts.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Law firm or professional services experience and JD are preferred.
- 5 years prior related experience with DEI, recruiting, professional development and retention initiatives.
- Diversity & Inclusion certification from an accredited university, online program, or nationally recognized professional association.
- Demonstrated knowledge of diversity and inclusion best practices in law firms or other professional services environments.
- A strong presence that instills confidence and understanding of key issues in the diversity and inclusion legal community.
- Outstanding creative thinking skills and the ability to offer new ideas and approaches to diversity and inclusion applicable to new environments.
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills across levels, with an ability to persuade and influence, and the ability to build enthusiasm and commitment.
- Strong organizational skills, including setting priorities, planning and implementation, structuring project deliverables and problem-solving.
- Highly effective communicator and strategic thinker with the ability to clearly and concisely articulate complex ideas, unique concepts, and proposals to enroll team, peers, and management. Excellent writing and presentation skills.
- Ability and availability to travel and be present in different firm offices in order to effectively implement the agreed upon strategy and initiatives.
Email your resume to email@example.com to apply today.
Balch & Bingham LLP is an equal employment opportunity employer. Balch & Bingham LLP provides equal opportunity in employment to all employees and applicants for employment. All applicants and employees will be treated in a non-discriminatory manner, without regard to age, color, disability, gender (including gender identity or expression), genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any classification protected by federal, state or local law.