Balch's Opportunity Zones Practice advises companies, developers and investors with structuring and complying with the statutory requirements and regulations of the Opportunity Zones program.
Our team combines Balch’s corporate, tax and real estate practices to help our clients understand and implement the Opportunity Zones program. We work collaboratively to advise and provide full-service guidance to educate clients about the Opportunity Zones program, evaluate whether the program is consistent with client goals, address legal and regulatory hurdles, and help execute engagement in the program.
In addition to the benefits inherent with the Opportunity Zones program, the investments can be combined with other incentives for deployment in distressed communities, such as the New Markets Tax Credit (NMTC), Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) and historic rehabilitation tax credit, programs with which our attorneys have extensive experience.
Balch attorneys advise investors, fund managers, real estate developers and the owners of Opportunity Zone businesses in organizing investments that meet the requirements for various incentives.
The typical Opportunity Zone program clients include fund sponsors, real estate developers, innovators, businesses with under-served community initiatives, cities, urban and rural economic development associations, family offices, and institutional and private investors.
We advise clients on the following related to the Opportunity Zone program:
- Qualified Opportunity Zone Fund formation and structuring
- Tax planning, advice and compliance
- Structuring real estate and operating business investments
- Real estate acquisitions and associated operational issues
- Financing components (senior, mezzanine and preferred equity)
- Layering additional sources of capital, such as New Markets Tax Credits, historic tax credits, and Low Income Housing Tax Credit