ARMIN J. MOELLER, JR., is a Partner in the firm's Jackson, Mississippi office. His practice focuses primarily on labor relations and employment law issues, but includes health law, business litigation, arbitration and contracts.
Armin represents employers in maintaining non-union status, collective bargaining negotiations and arbitration. He defends employers against harassment, discrimination and retaliation claims; handles EEOC, NLRB, OSHA and other agency claims through judicial process; drafts and defends employment, severance, noncompetition and confidentiality contracts; employment standards and affirmative action; advises clients regarding federal contractor compliance issues; and conducts client/management training programs.
Armin has been listed in Human Resource Executive's "Top 100: The Nation's Most Powerful Employment Attorneys" since 2010. He has been listed in each edition of The Best Lawyers in America since 1988 and in Band 1 for Labor & Employment Law in Chambers USA America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Labor & Employment: The Client’s Guide. According to Chambers and Partners, USA, 2010 edition, clients say Armin is "'brilliant, knowledgeable and extremely easy to work with'" and they "highlight his presentation skills and ability to 'express points succinctly.'"
Armin is also a member of the Health Law Practice group representing numerous hospitals, associations and state agencies in labor and employment law matters, contract disputes and contract negotiations for healthcare claims administrative services; and is a member of the Business Litigation group representing business organizations in county, state and federal courts including the Fifth and Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Successfully defended a business organization against a Union demand for enforcement of “neutrality agreement” through the U.S. court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
- Negotiated collective bargaining agreements for numerous companies in a variety of industries
- Advised construction clients in establishing union and non-union companies and drafted union project agreements throughout the United States
- Removed engineering/manufacturing facility from UAW master auto agreement and negotiated 60% reduction in wage rates
- Defeated unionization efforts among employees in industries including packaging, food service, aerospace, healthcare, wastewater treatment, construction, processing and marine service
- Represented numerous employers against ULP charges including Fortune 500 company in terminating two employees for strike misconduct; prevailed in two separate arbitrations and unfair labor practice proceeding
- Prepared and conducted training programs to address early warning signs of union activity, lawful communications with employees concerning union activity and efforts in dissuading employees from interest in unions.
- Advised clients regarding underfunding withdrawal liabilities
General Labor & Employment Issues
- Argued and won before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Fifth Circuit employer favorable interpretation of FMLA regulations.
- Defended numerous clients against wrongful termination, race, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual/workplace harassment discrimination and retaliation claims including:
- Defeated workers compensation and race discrimination claims on basis an employee's hanging was result of his own prank; defeated state court action on his subsequent termination claim
- Defeated race and First Amendment claims by an Asst. Dir. of Nursing and persuaded court to award sanctions
- Received defense jury verdict on race/sex claims by Assistant State Superintendent of Education
- Compelled arbitration of four employees' claims of sex discrimination, hostile work environment and retaliation against Fortune 100 Company and prevailed on all claims in arbitration
- Represented Fortune 100 company in arbitration of claims of race, sex and hostile work environment discrimination and retaliation; arbitrator dismissed all claims and required claimant to pay one-half of all arbitration costs
- Defended successful resolution of ADA epileptic seizure cases for a major manufacturer
- Defended clients against OSHA and MSHA violations.
- Analyzed legal issues relating to Fortune 100 Company's race and gender pay equity plan
- Developed protocol for pre-employment testing programs; applicant post-offer screening guidelines; employment agreements; company policies/handbooks including HIPAA, FLSA and USERRA guidelines; management training programs; employee training programs; ADR programs including binding arbitration and jury trial waivers for numerous companies.
- Represented numerous employers in enforcement of non-compete/confidentiality agreements
- Conducted investigations for employers regarding employee conduct/misconduct including time clock discrepancies; wrongful use of company equipment; distribution of confidential company information; surreptitious videos; employee altercations; ADA claims; FMLA claims; and DOL charges.
Business Services and Litigation
- Lead counsel for State of Mississippi in termination of information technology software/integrated systems contract and filed suit for compensatory and punitive damages; jury awarded $474,534,692.00 - Successfully settled case within five days for $185,000,000.
- Negotiated information technology project agreements with leading technology companies for state agencies
- Negotiated healthcare claims administrative services contract with leading healthcare provider covering over 80,000 public employees
- Represented union and non-union companies in plant/facility restructuring/ down-sizing/closing selling/acquisitions including compliance with WARN Act, union negotiations regarding shutdown agreements, phase out of operations, financing and contract negotiations.
- Successfully represented business in bid protests against federal agencies
- Successfully mediated numerous construction contract and other business agreement disputes
- Advised healthcare clients and prepared physician recruiting, employment and severance agreements
- Advised clients and prepared deferred compensation agreements
Louisiana State University School of Law
Phi Alpha Delta
Trial Attorney, National Labor Relations Board (1972 to 1975)
Adjunct Professor at Mississippi College School of Law (1976 to 1985)