2011 I-9 & E-Verify Seminar
In this seminar you will learn from experienced immigration lawyers who currently represent employers on immigration and I-9 issues and have defended companies in high-profile I-9 and E-Verify cases.
Specifically, you will learn:
- I-9 101. Discover the 10 essential steps to correctly fill out an I-9.
- Documents. Which documents can you review for Lists A, B and C—and what has changed since last April?
- Copying. Should you make copies of driver’s licenses and other supporting documents? Is this now required under State law?
- Review. How far are you required to go to determine if a document is “genuine”?
- Retention. Where must you store I-9s? Is a “binder system” the best? And how long must you retain them … 1 year, 3 years, more?
- Disposal. What’s the proper way to discard of I-9s—must you shred them?
- E-Verify: How the online system works, who must use it and the legal do''s and dont's.
- State Laws: What are the new Employement Verification Requirements imposed by Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi State Laws
- Contractor and Sub-contractor Management: How far must you go in determining whether your contractors/sub-contractors employees are authorized to work?
- Internal audits. What can be corrected and who should be auditing?
- Electronic I-9 systems. What to consider when going paperless.
- Best practices. What else should you be doing?
May 25, 2011
Balch & Bingham LLP
1901 6th Avenue N., Ste. 1500
Birmingham, AL 35203
12- 4:30 P.M.
June 22, 2011
Montgomery Renaissance Hotel
201 Tallapoosa Street • Montgomery, Alabama 36104
12 - 4:30 P.M.
July 20, 2011
Huntsville Renaissance Hotel
Huntsville, AL 35801
12:00 - 4:30 P.M.