- Riparian rights: Represented electric public utility owner of hydro and nuclear generation facilities in interstate water litigation involving federal agencies and multiple states.
- Eminent domain: Represented public university in condemnation proceedings to acquire land for construction of medical school and teaching hospital facilities.
- Eminent domain: Represented public utility in condemnation of right of way for transmission of electric power across lands devoted to prior public use.
- Election Law: Represented State Party Executive Committee in recount of first gubernatorial primary election over objections of leading candidate and attorney general. (2010)
- The University of Alabama School of Law, LL.B., 1963,
Law Review, Editor-in-Chief; Omicron Delta Kappa
- Washington & Lee University, B.S., Commerce, 1960
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Alabama, 1963
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Alabama, 1987
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Alabama, 1991
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, 1975
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit, 1981
- Supreme Court of the United States, 1971
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, 1997
- Alabama, 1963
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Alabama Law Institute, Eminent Domain Committee
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2003 Edition - Present
- Alabama Republican Executive Committee, Legal Counsel, 1973 - 2011
- Brother Bryan Mission, Board of Directors
- Presidential Elector, 2012
- St. Mary’s on the Highlands Episcopal Church, Outreach and Christian Education Committees, Vestry, Junior and Senior Warden, St. Mary’s Foundation Board of Directors