- CAA Title V operating permit litigation:Defended company in litigation over renewal of its CAA Title V operating permit (GASP v. Jefferson County Board of Health)
- Endangered species civil penalty enforcement: Defended municipality in civil penalty proceeding seeking $2 million penalty under ESA for alleged take of endangered watercress darters, resulting in settlement of $187,500 in the form of donation to local land trust. (2012, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service v. City of Birmingham, No. INV-2008404913 (D.O.I. O.H.A.))
- State resources penalty enforcement: Successfully obtained summary judgment for municipality in state civil penalty proceeding seeking $1 million penalty for the alleged unlawful taking of state resources. (2013, State of Alabama Department of Conservation & Natural Resources v. City of Birmingham, Alabama, No. 1101100 (Ala. Supreme Court))
- Indoor air quality: Assist clients in responding to mold infestation and asbestos fiber release episodes.
- CERCLA potentially responsible party: Advise clients on issues related to Superfund sites in Alabama, including potential impacts from potentially responsible party designations and listing of sites on the National Priorities List.
- CAA compliance: represent electric generating companies in developing strategies for complying with EPA rulemakings, including withdrawal of the startup, shutdown and malfunction exclusion and implementation of the 2010 1-hour SO2 National Ambient Air Quality Standard.
- EPA information requests: Assist clients in responding to EPA information requests under the CAA (section 114) and CERCLA (section 104(e)), as well as various confidential business information substantiation requests.
- Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) litigation: represented municipality in FOIA action successfully resulting in release of withheld documents and payment of attorneys’ fees. (2012, City of Birmingham v. U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, 2:11-cv-00733 (N.D. Ala.))
- The University of Alabama School of Law, J.D., 2007, Alabama Law Review
- Washington & Lee University, B.S., 2003, cum laude
- Supreme Court of Alabama, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Alabama, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit, 2015
- Alabama, 2007
- Alabama State Bar, Vice President, Environmental Law Section
- Birmingham Bar Association
Birmingham Magazine, Top Attorney, 2017
- Washington and Lee University Alumni Board, active member and former President (2014)
- Susan B. Livingston Boot Camp for Success, active member and former Chair (2014)
- McWane Science Center New Element Group, Steering Committee
- Symphony 30, fundraising organization for the Alabama Symphony Orchestra