- Represented a 34 member coalition of businesses, trade associations, and state agencies in Alabama and Mississippi in challenging the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s (FWS) proposed listing of the Alabama sturgeon as an endangered species.
- Assisted real estate developers in the Southeast with wetlands and endangered species issues, including securing COE Clean Water Act (CWA) Section 404 and Section 10 permits, participating in Endangered Species Act (ESA) Section 7 consultations, and assisting in the preparation of ESA habitat conservation plans.
- Successfully permitted five alternative energy plants in California for a major independent power producer, including site selection, preparation of an environmental impact report, and securing all federal, state, regional, and local air, water, solid waste disposal, and other applicable construction and operating permits.
- Represented the largest public utility in the Southeast in relicensing proceedings before the U.S. Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), COE, and FWS and the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (ADCNR) in successfully obtaining new 50 year operating licenses for five major hydroelectric projects on the Warrior and Coosa River systems.
- Represented a coalition of five navigable waterway associations in reviewing and developing strategy for responding to proposed water allocations and federal tri-state water wars litigation on two major interstate waterways in AL, GA, and FL, as well as commenting on the draft environmental impact statements for the COE’s revised water control manuals in the two river systems.
- Represented clients in the development of regulations to implement the U.S. Water Resources Reform and Development Act (WRRDA), proposed amendments to the ESA, proposed regulations on the CWA, and annual and supplemental appropriations for the COE, FWS, EPA and DOE.
- Served as Associate and Deputy Solicitor of the U.S. Department of the Interior in Washington, D.C, from 1981 to 1984.
- Served as General Counsel of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission in Washington, D.C, from 1984 to 1986.
- Served for ten years as Secretary, Counsel, and Member of the Board of Directors for the National Waterways Conference, Inc. in Washington, D.C.
- Cumberland School of Law, J.D., 1977, magna cum laude
- Indiana University, M.B.A., 1966
- Georgia Institute of Technology, B.I.E. , 1964, with Highest Honors
- Alabama, 1977
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Warrior-Tombigbee Waterway Association, Board of Directors
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, Environmental Law, 1989 - present
- Listed in Super Lawyers, 2008 - present
- Lifetime Membership Award, TriRivers Waterway Development Association
- Colonel, U.S. Army (Ret.), having served on active duty in Thailand and Viet Nam
- Long-time Sunday School Teacher, Highlands United Methodist Church
- Secretary, Alabama Chapter, Sons of the Revolution
- National Rifle Association of America (NRA), Board of Directors
- NRA Foundation, Board of Trustees
- NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund, Board of Trustees