- Employment Law Litigation: Advised a university client in the handling the unusually contentious and related terminations of unproductive C-level employees and in resulting lawsuits, and in following litigation, in which summary judgments were awarded.
- Higher Education Administrative Proceeding: Successfully advised Board of Trustees in conducting a hearing that ensured due process in terminating hearing of University President
- Redistricting and Voting Rights Litigation: Advised the Alabama Legislature in drawing new districts after the 2010 census, and represented Legislative leadership from 2010 to 2017 in the subsequent litigation, including trial before a three-judge federal court and an appeal to the Unites States Supreme Court.
- Complex Litigation: Representing circuit and district judges and county clerks in class actions challenging bail procedures.
- Contract Challenge: Successfully challenged multi-million dollar bid award by a State agency.
- Mediations: Successfully represented numerous defendants in federal court-sponsored mediation, mostly in employment law, thereby ending cases economically and finally.
- Open Meetings Act Litigation: In a case of first impression, successfully represented a University against claims that it violated the Open Meetings Act, and established the right of its trustees to meet with counsel as an exception to the Act.
- Appellate Work: Brought in by a department of Alabama government to handle the appeal of a case that was tried unsuccessfully, and succeeded in having thrown out most of the relief granted by the trial court.
- Non-compete Agreement Litigation: Successfully represented former employee of a major manufacturer of undergarments to prevent overreaching in the enforcement of a non-compete agreement.
- Policy Review: Reviewed and updated policies for a major Alabama-based international manufacturer.
- Certificates of Need Litigation: In a case of first impression, established that the CON Review Board does not have subject matter jurisdiction over CON applications which on their face are inconsistent with the State Health Plan.
- The University of Alabama School of Law, J.D., 1987, Alabama Editor, Alabama Law Review, Hugo Black Scholar
- Washington & Lee University, B.S., 1978, Certificate in Commerce, cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Alabama
- Alabama, 1987
- Hugh Maddox Inn of Court, Past President
- Federal Bar Association, Former Officer
- Alabama State Bar
- Alabama State Bar Task Force on Legal Incubators, Chair
- Alabama State Bar Task Force on Legal Education, Former Chair
- Montgomery Bar Association Grievance Committee, Former Chair
- The Best Lawyers in America, Appellate Practice, Commercial Litigation, Education Law, Employment Law – Individuals, Employment Law – Management, Health Care Law, Labor Law – Management
- The Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year 2016, Montgomery, Employment Law – Management
- Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Cloverdale Playhouse, Founding Chair
- Landmarks Association, Former Board Member
- Montgomery Academy, Former Trustee and Vice-President, Counsel to the Board (current)
- Medical Aids Outreach Of Alabama – pro bono work
- Mid-Alabama Coalition for the Homeless – pro bono work