- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission counsel: Serves as primary FERC counsel for the transmission function of a large public utility holding company system. This representation involves a wide gamut of matters, including the development of policy involving legislature and regulatory matters, regulatory compliance, transmission rate design, and regulatory and appellate litigation.
- Transmission Planning: Serves as counsel for a sponsor of the Southeastern Regional Transmission Planning Process (SERTP). The SERTP is the largest transmission planning region (in terms of miles of transmission – over 80,000 circuit miles) in the Eastern Interconnection and is one of the largest in terms of load (having a combined peak load of more than 124,000 MWs). The SERTP is located within fourteen states, roughly spanning over 600 miles north to south and 1,100 miles east to west. The SERTP sponsors consist of four FERC-jurisdictional utilities and six non-jurisdictional utilities, and collectively encompass nine NERC Balancing Authority Areas (BAAs).
- Contract Negotiations: Served as counsel for the negotiation of numerous transmission delivery and generator interconnection arrangements, as well as serving as lead counsel for the negotiation of several significant long term service agreements for certain combined cycle generating units.
- Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D., 1994
- Furman University, B.A., 1991, magna cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit, 1998
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2001
- Alabama, 1994
- Alabama State Bar
- American Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Energy Bar Association
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2009 - present
- The Best Lawyers in America, “Lawyer of the Year”, Energy Law-Birmingham, 2013
- Vestavia Hills Sunrise Rotary Club, president, 2016 - 2017
- MS Society, Alabama–Mississippi Chapter, Leadership Advisory Council and Leadership Classes
- Youth soccer coach
- Lutheran Church of Vestavia Hills