- Electrical Contact/Wrongful Death Litigation: As part of a team of Balch attorneys, currently defending multiple actions where plaintiffs allege property damage, injuries, and/or death arising out of contact with overhead power lines (on-going).
- Trial Victory in Nuisance Case: Part of a team of Balch attorneys that successfully defended nuisance and trespass claims filed by 11 plaintiffs in a residential subdivision against a neighboring industrial operation. Plaintiffs alleged that noise and dust allegedly emanating from the industrial operations materially affected their property values along with the use and enjoyment of their properties. Plaintiffs asked for over $5 Million in damages from the jury, but the jury returned a defense verdict. (2023)
- Trial Victory in Personal Injury Case: Part of a team of two Balch attorneys responsible for defending an individual and corporate defendant in a motor vehicle collision case involving a corporate utility truck. Liability was not disputed, as it was admitted that the corporate employee had caused the wreck. However, defendants denied that they had caused any injury or harm to the plaintiffs, one of whom was a minor, despite plaintiffs claiming more than $500,000 in medical bills and three surgeries at trial. The jury returned a defense verdict on all counts. (2023)
- Trial and Appellate Victory in Real Property Lawsuit: Part of a two-lawyer Balch team that obtained a complete defense verdict in a multi-day trial concerning the ownership and use of an alleged easement over neighboring land parcels. Argued for and obtained (on behalf of Balch’s client and two co-defendants) a judgment as a matter of law on three of plaintiff’s claims following the close of plaintiff’s case. After the Balch team presented the defense’s case, the Court entered judgment in the defense’s favor on the fourth and final claim of a prescriptive easement. The verdict was affirmed on appeal. (2019-2020)
- Patent Litigation: Successfully argued a change of venue motion for a patent lawsuit in the Northern District of Georgia, resulting in the case being transferred to the Northern District of Alabama. Following the transfer, Elizabeth was part of a team of attorneys who obtained disqualification of plaintiff’s counsel based on a conflict of interest. (2018)
- California’s Proposition 65: Counseled multiple manufacturing clients on changes to California’s Proposition 65 regulations going into effect in August 2018 and assisted clients in preparing contracts and product labels in compliance with the same (on-going).
- Shoreline Management: Work on a variety of real estate, leasing, and permitting issues related to structures on Alabama’s lake shorelines, including providing legal assistance in the development of community septic systems and clearing of abandoned mobile homes (on-going).
- Personal Injury Litigation: Successfully defended electric utility at trial against a plaintiff’s claim that the utility contributed to injuries suffered when she fell on an escalator. Obtained complete dismissal of claims at the close of the plaintiff’s case. (2017, Phillips v. Belk, et al. (District Court of Jefferson County, Alabama))
- Healthcare Litigation: As part of a team of Balch attorneys, obtained award of all costs and complete dismissal of lawsuit in federal court by a medical provider alleging discrimination against healthcare plan and third party administrator under Section 1557 of the Affordable Care Act (2017, W.A. Griffin, MD v. General Electric Company, et al (Northern District of Georgia)).
- Washington & Lee University School of Law, J.D., 2015, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, Burks Scholar
- The University of Alabama, B.A., 2010, summa cum laude
- Alabama, 2015
- DRI - Lawyers Representing Business
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Ones to Watch
- Birmingham Business Journal, Rising Star Lawyer, 2019
- Mid-South Super Lawyers, Rising Star
- Teach For America-Alabama Alumni Advisory Board, Board Member
- Birmingham Education Foundation, Junior Board Member
- University of Alabama Honors College Council, Board Member
- The Blackburn Institute, Fellow