- Volkswagen Clean Diesel Litigation: Jim is representing Volkswagen in multiple Georgia class action lawsuits, including coordinating the defense of these claims with the Federal MDL proceedings.
- Commercial reimbursement arbitration: Obtained dismissal of a large provider dispute between an area hospital and a large health insurer after multiple rounds of briefing, several arguments before arbitration panel and only limited discovery.
- Product liability trial: Jim was lead counsel for all defendants in Donna Mitchell, et al v. Volkswagen Group of America Inc., et al, Civil Action No. 1 10 CV-0944. This multi-million dollar wrongful death / products liability case arose out of the tragic death of a 19 year old woman following a single vehicle, rear end collision. Plaintiffs’ strict liability theories focused on several alleged design defects, including a failure to warn claim. The case was tried before Judge Jones in the United States District Court, Northern District of Georgia. After the close of Plaintiffs’ evidence, Judge Jones directed a verdict in favor of the vehicle’s American distributor. After a two week trial, the jury then returned a unanimous defense verdict in favor of all remaining defendants. (2013).
- Mass Tort / Asbestos Litigation: For over a decade, Jim has represented manufacturers of industrial controls and electrical products in Georgia asbestos suits, routinely obtaining dismissal of his clients on motions before incurring the costs of extensive discovery.
- Pharmaceutical litigation: Jim has defended both single plaintiff pharmaceutical claims, and multiple plaintiff claims, including coordinating state court claims with Federal MDL proceedings. Jim has worked on cases involving Metoclopramide (Reglan), Phenytoin (Dilantin), Digoxin (Digitek), and Propoxyphene (Darvocet/Darvon). In one case, Jim secured the dismissal of a claim against a pharmaceutical manufacturer after taking a single deposition of plaintiff's treating physician.
- Jim worked with other firm lawyers to obtain dismissal of two putative class action lawsuits related to capital credits by Electrical Membership Corporations throughout the state. After multiple rounds of briefing, and several oral arguments, the Court granted our client's motion to dismiss all claims. (2015-2016).
- Jim was part of a team appointed by then Governor Sonny Perdue to investigate systemic cheating on standardized tests by teachers, principals and administrators in the Atlanta Independent School System and the Dougherty County School System. During the course of this investigation, Jim worked with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and other State investigative agencies. (2010-2011).
- Jim was trial counsel in a racial discrimination claim against DeKalb County, Georgia, that resulted in a punitive damages verdict against several county administrators, including former County CEO Vernon Jones. (2010).
- Jim defended a manufacturer of an industrial panel saw in a case involving significant crush injuries to plaintiff. Jim obtained summary judgment on all claims except one. The order severely limited the circumstances under which the Plaintiff could recover on the surviving claim and the case settled on favorable terms. (2008).
- Jim represented the owners of multi-family residential condominium buildings in several construction defect cases, which resulted in verdicts or settlements exceeding $6 million. In one case, Jim obtained a Daubert order excluding key portions of the defense expert's testimony.
- University of Georgia School of Law, J.D., 1998, cum laude; Moot Court Board; Editorial Board of Journal of International and Comparative Law
- Pennsylvania State University, B.A., 1993
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Georgia Superior Court
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- Georgia, 1998
- State Bar of Georgia
- DRI - Lawyers Representing Business
- Georgia Defense Lawyers Association (Former Chair Products Liability Committee)
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy, Graduate
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Product Liability Litigation - Defendants