Susan B. Livingston Boot Camp for Success 2023
On June 1-2, 2023, Balch & Bingham is hosting our annual Susan B. Livingston Boot Camp for Success to equip incoming law students with the necessary tools to succeed in law school and throughout their professional careers. The program focuses on attracting promising students from groups historically underrepresented in the legal profession and from socioeconomically disadvantaged backgrounds, as well as students facing other significant barriers to entering the legal profession.
During this in-person two-day program, students will gain a better sense of the law school classroom experience, receive practical tips and advice from judges, in-house counsel and leaders from a variety of backgrounds, network with Balch attorneys and learn tips to enhance their academic and professional success while maximizing law school opportunities.
The Boot Camp is limited to approximately 40 students. All incoming first-year law students are eligible to apply. Students selected to the program will be able to participate in the Boot Camp free of charge, but are required to attend both days in their entirety. Boot Camp is held in Birmingham, Alabama. A stipend is available to help offset travel and accommodations for students who are joining us from out of state.
Many students who participate in the program go on to credit Boot Camp for Success as a driving factor behind their success during law school and as a young professional.
To date, participating in Balch’s Boot Camp has been one of my most rewarding experiences while on the road to becoming a lawyer. The energy alone was enough to get me pumped up to get started on my journey at Mercer Law. The program provided me with the blueprint to survival for my 1L year. It was also rewarding to be taught and surrounded by people of color and women with similar interests. The best part about the boot camp is that I made some lifelong friends that attended other law schools. It was nice to compare notes with, keep track of, and watch the success of my fellow boot campers.
- Amber Jones, Susan B. Livingston Boot Camp Alumni,
Contracts Negotiator, Lockheed Martin
BOOT CAMP INCLUDES:
Mock class with a law school professor
Panel discussion featuring practicing attorneys, in-house counsel and corporate leaders
- Judge Shera Grant | District Judge, 10th Judicial Circuit
- Judge Shantá Owens | Circuit Judge, 10th Judicial Circuit
- Professor Bryan Fair | Thomas E. Skinner Professor of Law, University of Alabama School of Law
- Dean Lynn Hogewood | Assistant Dean of Academic & Bar Success, Cumberland School of Law
- Douglas Allen | Managing Chief Counsel, Deposits and Accessibility, PNC Bank
- Jonathan Barry-Blocker | Visiting Legal Skills Professor, UF Levin College of Law
- Katlyn Caldwell | Counsel, Environmental Policy and Litigation, Southern Company
- Dean Cassandra Adams | Dean of Students and Community Outreach, Cumberland School of Law
- Daryl Perkins | President, Master Solutions LLC
- Freddy Rubio | Partner, Rubio Law Firm
- Judge John L. Carroll | Retired Chief U.S. Magistrate Judge for the Middle District of Alabama and Former Dean of Cumberland School of Law
Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer and Director of Talent Management
(205) 226-8709 | firstname.lastname@example.org