- Voluntary dismissal with prejudice of wrongful death and personal injury claims against HVAC equipment manufacturer following Legionnaires’ Disease outbreak which killed two and injured others. Walter's targeted and successful early discovery convinced plaintiff’s counsel that equipment manufacturer was not liable, and further pursuit of product liability claims would result in costly defeat.
- Representation of multiple property insurers in multiple claims for millions in property damage claims and millions more in bad faith exposure for denial of claims based on "cosmetic" property damage. Walter successfully investigated claims, retained experts, defended bad faith actions, and resolved all claims within policy limits and with no payments for extra-contractual exposure.
- Motion to dismiss granted on behalf of private educational institution following expulsion of student for plagiarism and violations of student code of conduct. Walter obtained a dismissal on the pleadings because educational institution demonstrated that underlying offenses had occurred, and that educational institution had substantially complied with procedural due process.
- Directed verdict dismissing bad faith claims against property insurer, and jury verdict for actual damages less than pre-trial demand. Following bad faith claim and demand for damages including attorney fees, interest, and other damages, district judge granted Walter's directed verdict motion on bad faith claim and actual damages verdict was substantially less than pre-trial demand.
- Successful resolution during trial of seven figure environmental indemnification dispute following the purchase and sale of an asphalt manufacturing plant. Seller asserted indemnity claims for pre-closing environmental conditions exceeding $20 million, and refused to release remaining purchase price from escrow. Walter's client, the Buyer, then asserted its own post-closing indemnity counterclaim, demonstrated baseless nature of Seller’s claim, and forced matter to trial. During trial, Seller abandoned its indemnity claim, released Walter's client from further liability, and released most of the funds held in escrow.
- Successful resolution during trial of shareholder dispute. During trial, Walter and his client proved millions of dollars of payments to majority shareholder and his family, and fraudulent concealment of those payments from the minority shareholders and the company’s lender. Walter’s client ultimately obtained a change in control in the company and substantial monetary concessions.
- Voluntary dismissal with prejudice of claim against aerial device manufacturer after aggressive, focused discovery demonstrated violations of company policy and OSHA standards by plaintiff who suffered double amputation after power line contact. Walter’s early discovery of plaintiff’s co-workers demonstrated violations of OSHA standards, company policy, and a history by plaintiff of similar workplace violations in the past. Plaintiff’s counsel abandoned product claims against aerial lift manufacturer and dismissed Walter's client for nuisance value payment.
- Jury verdict rejecting seven figure claim for breach of contract by poultry processor against poultry renderer. Walter defended poultry renderer against claims from its poultry processor shareholder for breach of contract, unjust enrichment, and breach of fiduciary duty. Following ten day jury trial, jury rejected the $9 million breach of contract claim, while awarding damages on other claims. During appeal, the parties reached a business solution to the dispute favorable to Walter's client.
- University of Mississippi School of Law, J.D., 1990, cum laude
- Georgetown University, B.A., 1987, cum laude
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Mississippi, 1990
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Mississippi, 1990
- Supreme Court of Mississippi, 1990
- Mississippi, 1990
International Association of Defense Counsel, Chair, Energy and Environmental Law Committee
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation; Litigation – Real Estate, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions – Defendants
- Mid- South Super Lawyers, 2014 - present
- AV Pre-Eminent rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year, Mississippi Volunteer Lawyers Project, 2014
- The Randy and Altec All Star Awards, Altec Industries, Inc., 2010
- Boss of the Year, Jackson Association of Legal Secretaries, 2010
- Pro Bono Publico Award, Jackson Young Lawyers Association, 1996
- Mississippi Center for Justice, Board of Directors, Executive Committee, Chairman of Audit Committee, and Treasurer