- State taxes on services: Prepared a 50-state detailed survey for an institutional banking client, setting forth how each state imposes taxes on the sale of tangible personal property and selected services.
- MAST Initiative: providing ongoing economic development research and support to promote public and private entities interested in growing Alabama’s chemical corridor.
- Trucking acquisitions: Represented a regional trucking company in several multi-million dollar acquisitions of local service providers, permitting the company to experience rapid growth and better serve its customers.
- Renewable energy transactions: Advised clients on issues associated with claiming the credit for electricity produced from renewable resources (Section 45) and the solar investment tax credit (Section 48).
- State taxes on electric utilities: Created a detailed review of various states’ taxation of electric utilities, from a sales, property, and income tax perspective.
- Tax-exempt matters: Counseled multiple public charities and private foundations on large issues including applications for tax exempt status, governance, proposed charitable activities and the use of for-profit affiliates. Examples include establishing a Switzerland-based 501(c)(3) public charity that has worldwide operations, as well as serving as the counsel for Opportunity Alabama – one of the country’s preeminent nonprofit authorities on Opportunity Zones.
- Nuclear decommissioning trusts: Performed detailed review of Section 468A’s restrictions on self-dealing and related investment implications under the trust’s governing documents.
- Public offering: Performed U.S.-based due diligence and provided guidance on structuring for a $920 million IPO of an Australian-based global provider of water control systems and plumbing solutions.
- The University of Florida Fredric G. Levin School of Law, LL.M., Taxation, 2013
- Cumberland School of Law, J.D., 2012, cum laude
- University of Florida, B.A., 2005, Economics, cum laude
- Alabama, 2012
- Alabama Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Ones to Watch
- Birmingham Business Journal, NextGenBham: Law Winner
- Birmingham Zoo, Junior Board
- Rotaract Club of Birmingham