Balch & Bingham represents electric utilities, independent power producers, investment funds, lenders and other utility market participants that focus on a wide-variety of energy transactions and infrastructure development, where renewable energy is playing an increasingly vital role. The firm’s practice extends to each of the Regional Transmission Organization regions of the U.S., from New York to California. Our practice also covers the Southeast and Northwest regions. Balch is frequently engaged by significant energy participants as counsel in all phases of the development and operation of renewable generation and battery storage projects. With a nearly 100-year legacy of service to the electric industry, Balch includes a team of 200+ attorneys throughout the Southeast, Texas and Washington, D.C., who remain committed to helping the next generation of industry participants prepare for and build a sustainable future.
Renewable Energy Project Development
Balch & Bingham has extensive experience in advising early-stage developers, late-stage developers, regulated utilities and independent power producers at every stage of renewable energy project development. As a multi-state, full service firm Balch & Bingham offers expertise in real estate acquisitions, EPC contracts, tax strategies, energy sales and offtake agreements, long-term service agreements for equipment, fuel purchase agreements (i.e. landfill gas and biomass), federal and state regulatory approvals, environmental matters, economic development incentives, RTO requirements, transmission interconnection, mergers and acquisitions, tax-equity financing, sale-leaseback arrangements and other financial structures.
Renewable Energy Acquisition
For decades, the Firm has also assisted clients the sale and purchase of utility-scale energy assets including mergers, acquisitions, finance restructures and other ownership transactions. In conjunction with these transactions, we regularly advise clients on a full range of due diligence activities including regulatory compliance, real estate, environmental, NERC reliability, project contract and tax matters. Recent, representative projects and services provided to our clients include:
- An independent power producer’s acquisition and development of the Nation’s largest (100 MW) biomass-fired generation plant in Texas.
- An independent power producer’s acquisition of a 600 MW Exempt Wholesale Generator in Texas.
- An investment fund’s acquisition and development of a 100 MW solar facility in Mississippi.
- Early-stage developer’s sale of a combined 100 MW solar facility and 40 MW battery storage project in South Carolina.
- Negotiation of power purchase agreements for a total of 150 MW of solar capacity and energy for a regulated public utility