White-Collar Defense & Investigations
Balch & Bingham’s White-Collar Defense and Investigations Practice represents clients in federal and state criminal and civil government enforcement matters. Our practice includes attorneys with in-depth experience defending clients against allegations involving:
- Health care fraud
- False Claims Act qui tam defense
- Mail and wire fraud
- Commercial gambling
- Environmental crimes
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
- Medical device use and billing
- Pharmacy compounding
- State and federal RICO
- Theft of trade secrets and intellectual property
- Computer and technology crimes
- Tax and accounting fraud
- Money laundering
- False statements.
Our team includes seasoned trial lawyers, former state and federal prosecutors and former government officials who fully understand the impact of government investigations on our clients’ personal lives and businesses and the need to quickly resolve and minimize the impact of these difficult matters. Team members routinely appear in state and federal jurisdictions. When appropriate, our White-Collar Defense and Investigations team engages seasoned investigators, information technology professionals, and forensic technology, tax and accounting specialists to form an effective and efficient team tailored to our client’s specific matter.
- Defense of recipient of multi-count felony indictment by the federal government alleging $2 billion fraud scheme that resulted in an acquittal on all charges.
- Internal investigation of major metropolitan school system related to standardized test cheating allegations.
- Internal investigation of a large metropolitan county finance department related to corruption allegations.
- Client indicted for multi-million dollar healthcare fraud that resulted in client’s acquittal at trial.
- Client indicted for mortgage fraud. Charges were dismissed prior to trial.
- Multi-count felony indictment alleging embezzlement. Client acquitted on all counts at trial.
- Defense of pharmacy group against multi-million dollar fraud allegations related to pharmacy compounding, resulting in plea to minor charge and brief home confinement.
- Defense of medical practice for alleged felony adulteration resulting in civil settlement on favorable terms.
- Jury verdict for defense in qui tam fraud allegations related to military procurement contract.
- Defense of multiple environmental crimes investigations resulting in no charges.
- Defense of CEO of laboratory company in multi-million dollar HHS/FBI anti-kickback case resulting in no charge against CEO.
- Defense of senior executive in procurement fraud/bribery case resulting in no charge against executive.
- Defense at trial of clients involving multiple RICO claims resulting in acquittal on those charges.
- Defense of clients regarding allegations of tax fraud and misrepresentations to the government.
- Defense of clients charged with violations of federal Computer Fraud and Abuse Act charges resulting in no indictment against clients.
Defense of clients regarding allegations of commercial gambling and regulatory fraud.